Use of "were"- to express hypothetical and imaginary scinario.

Today let's learn an auxiliary verb and its usage. All are familiar with Were. Normally it uses in the Past Continuous tense as everybody knows. Apart from that, it also uses to express hypothetical or imaginary scenarios.



In other words, it can also be used to express our desires and wishes which are not going to happen anymore. Examples.


            1.  If I were the chef, I would prepare Indian dishes every day.

            2.  I wish I were a rich man so that I can buy a flight.

            3.  If she were a nice girl, I would marry her.


These three sentences come out of the desire or wish of a particular person. In the case of the first sentence he wanted to be a chef and prepare Indian dishes, but it is not possible, because he is not a chef, he cannot be a chef. It is an unfulfilled desire. Now take the third example, he wanted to marry a girl, but she is not a nice girl. So it is not possible to marry her as he is searching for a nice girl. I hope you may understand the context where we can use the auxiliary verb were. Many people use 'was' in the place of 'were'.  That may not say as wrong, but it is not correct usage.

1 comment: